Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Week 6: The exponential growth of Biddelonia

Get a load of the following … ‘Tagging’ ‘Folksonomies’ ‘Technorati’ ‘Del.icio.us’ "Blog your thoughts about Web 2.0 and Learning 2.0"
OK, no problemo. Just need a dictionary and I’m on my way. “^ ^” [Do you like my personally-designed emoticon? It expresses me rolling my eyes to the heavens.]


Moving right along, a little click and … hmmm. Where’s that dictionary again?

‘Zeitgeist’ ‘Meme’ ‘Avatar’.
Maybe I should pop into the library, yes, a real bricks and mortar library, to look these up as the first two resulted in a big fat zero with Shift F7 in Word!

Do you know, the above may as well be written in Biddelonian. If I said to my parents even the word “blog” they’d look at me as if I was speaking a foreign language, which of course, I am. Now I have a good grasp of what my Grandmother went through when, in her words: “that rotten stinkin’ government changed our money!” Dollars and cents just about sent her skidding off into the hereafter with one foot on a banana skin. My husband, only four years older than I am, continually battles with kilos, centimetres, hectorPascals, Newton meters, joules and hectares. The 'undermining' of his life's education is regarded as a personal affront.

A funny thing happened last night. I caught a snippet from Rove’s Grade 5s vs Millionaire or whatever the hell it's called, and the subject chosen was “1st grade computer studies”. And there you have it in a nutshell!! Your future mouse-moving Meme-meisters are being indoctrinated to sit in front of a screen before they’ve even lost their first front fang.


That, to me, is the fundamental flaw in this whole shebang; that we are teaching the people of our world to withdraw from warm, human and personal interaction to sit in front of a plastic screen so they can search for warm, human interaction on a global scale. They then need blogs, tags, RSS feeds, cloud groups, folksonomies and all the other linguistic gymnastics to keep up with their fellow cyber-Jones's to know what they’re talking about. Pfffff .... What the hell are we doing!

After reading numerous articles suggested on the Week 6 site, plus viewing the video, I’ve peeked into the future and even if I could parlez the lingo, I don’t like it one little bit. After reading about a pathway from VR to AR (Virtual Reality to Augmented Reality - need that dictionary?), I took a reality check myself and logged out.

My VIP Noticeboard quote for the day?
“I don’t have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.”


3 comments:

Learning 2.0 administrator said...

Okay- so firstly I love your quotes of the day! Fantastic. Second, if you continue to brag about your cooking you may find a line of library workers showing up to prove you wrong! : ) I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to your blog yet, but as you can imagine I am thinking a clone of me would come in handy right about now (albeit a younger, thinner clone) to help take the workload off. However I'm getting there!
Keep up the beautiful work.
Regards
Leslie

linda said...

It is a shock to discover all this internet related STUFF (dictionary required) that kids are apparently obsessed with. But the point is not that we are teaching it to them but that they are teaching it to us! (or at least we are trying to get a handle on it so that we know what theyre talking about). Most of our collegues would agree with you that we dont need more computer work in our lives. Lets just finish checking out all this STUFF and then decide whether we have any use for it.

linda said...

further to my previous comment: Stephen Abram presented some predictions for the internet in 2020 from PEW which include a likelihood that technical addiction will be a problem for some and that refuseniks will emerge as a cultural group - not a particularly happy picture!
http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/188/report_display.asp