Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Week 9: Take 2!

EUREKA!!! Geez Louise, I knew if I waited long enough our Learning 2.0 site would point us in the right direction. So ... YouTube minus the 'O! M! G!' factor [See Week 9: original post]. Fingers crossed and dive in.
I did a video search for ... yep, you guessed it ... COOKING, and lo and behold, yet another Eureka moment, up pops Julia Child who features in one of my fave reads on my Library Thing - Julie & Julia!
I listened to the first vid and cracked up laughing - Julia Child's voice has got to be dead set straight out of the Muppets. I could not believe it!! And further along I found this. How good is that - a home-made vid set to one of the pages straight out of Julie & Julia! XLENT stuff. :o)
Mind you, it took me about 3 or 4 goes to get the "embed this into your blog" bit embedded into my blog, but persistence paid off. Have a squizz, it only runs for 3mins.



Now, onto Podcasts [yet again!] I chose the Yahoo Podcast site as I figured if I have to sign up to another account and get another password, I'll go off my tree! And wouldn't you know it, as it so succinctly says in my first Week 9 post, "sorry, this site is closing on October 31". *Sigh*. This is all so frustrating! *Undaunted, she forges ahead*. Actually, in the last 10 or so minutes I've been all over the place looking for podcasting that you don't have to subscribe to. I did find one site that extolled the virtues of some lady reading chapters from Anne of Green Gables, which I used to love as a kid, so I clicked on Chapter 25 - Matthew Insists on Puffed Sleeves "^ ^" and thought "bewdy Newk, here goes..." Up came an error message, the page, or whatever it is, is unavailable. More sighing :o( *Undeterred, she forges ahead, again* OK dipstick, I said to myself, let's work around this. Take a deep breath dear reader ...
I jumped onto Google, did a search for FREE podcasts, got onto Digital Podcast.com, searched for books on Stories To Go, got nowhere, clicked on the FREE icon, got onto PodBean.com, clicked further, which took me into the NPR site [whatever that is], dodged all the advertising and found a headline "Is it any wonder why Dumbledore kept closeted". What the??? And *ta da*, puff, pant, gasp ... here's MY PODCAST! The site doesn't allow widgets and whatnots but is happy for links to be used instead, so after clicking on this, click on 'LISTEN' and use the play controls on the pop-up NPR ad thingo. If it plays an ad, click on the 'LISTEN' button again. Well, it worked for me! :o)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15528724&ft=1&f=1

In answer to the question "Can you see a use for podcasts in the library's situation?", ummm, in a training situation I can. Somewhere back in the myriad sites I traipsed around, there is a SirsiDynix set of learning podcasts so I could picture all of us sitting around with headphones on with someone talking us through the ins and outs of Unicorn. [Would that make us all PodBods?? ;op] Hey, maybe that already happens, I dunno because, as you will have noticed throughout this whole exercise, "I Am Not A Librarian".
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level and then beat you with experience.



No comments: